[Marxism] Getting Pushed Off the Capitalist Cliff

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 9 06:26:20 MST 2018

On 12/9/18 7:46 AM, Ron Jacobs via Marxism wrote:

> http://stillhomeron.blogspot.com/2018/12/getting-pushed-off-capitalist-cliff.html?m=1

"In discussing these years, Nasser emphasizes, like most left-leaning
analysts, the role FDR played in saving capitalism. Likewise, he
discusses the nature of the programs instituted during his time in
office and the built in compromises with Wall Street many of them
contained. Most interesting, however, is his discussion of Keynesianism
and how it is misunderstood by most economists right to left. As has
been stated elsewhere, Overripe Capitalism notes that what saved US
capitalism in the mid-twentieth century was the US military’s entry into
World War Two and the war time production that entailed."

I have an article in CounterPunch either tomorrow or the next day making
the same point. A guy named Al Ronzoni wrote an article on CP on Friday
complaining about my comment in my Nov. 27 article that was mostly about
FDR and the Japanese-Americans but included a brief comment about WWII
ending the Depression. There was also a letter to Jeff St. Clair
complaining about what I wrote. I don't know. This FDR nostalgia is what
you'd expect with the 60s radicalization having lost most of its
"revisionist" bite. Doesn't anybody read Howard Zinn any more?