[Marxism] The Historical Profession is Committing Slow-Motion Suicide

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 12:25:42 MST 2018

 Agreed. . . .  generally.

Here, students can meet any history requirements by taking courses with a
BoK [Body of Knowledge] designation as providing HP [Historical
Perspectives].  What this means is that if people in an entirely unrelated
field want to teach a course on the Beatles, it will pass muster as meeting
a history requirement if they obtain an HP designation--and historians have
no control over that.  (And don't even get me started talking about what
they've done to the language departments.)

AP credit in history has done most of the immediate damage in this state.
These are offered high school students and almost never taught by people
who would be teaching a college level course.  Students come out of it
almost entirely ignorant of the most basic facts of history.

Of course, the right-wing politicians mandate all sorts of crap because
nobody ever pushes back--and those who find it inconvenient to push back is
a long and tangled list.  Administrators regularly try to act in
anticipation of what they think the board or legislators might.  As a
result, they regularly initiate the most draconian measures--measures that
are sometimes even more draconian would otherwise be the case . . .. .

In terms of the role of faculty in all this, I have rarely seen much of an
effort to push back on any of these things.  And while college professors
are certainly as much a part of the work force as anyone else, I have to
add that they are probably the biggest flock of Scissorbills I've ever
worked with.  :-)

Cheers,
Mark L.