[Marxism] Yellow-vest protests in France- An extraordinary political school | Lefteast

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Dec 13 06:19:06 MST 2018

Hello, Professor Drweski. My name is Maria Cernat. I am a feminist, an
academic and a journalist writing for Baricada.org. I am a lecturer at
the Communication Sciences and International Relations Department, Titu
Maiorescu University. I was very curious, and I am sure our readers are
too, about the situation in France. I have a few questions that I hope
you could answer for our readers.

Q: How would you describe the current protests taking place in France
from an ideological point of view? Are they an expression of a class
struggle?

A: Objectively, it is certainly a class struggle since it is a protest
of people from the working class and lower middle classes against
inequality and the leading elites. But it started mainly in the
peripheral regions of France, which have been marginalized by almost
thirty years of neo-liberal and European Union policies. Though
according to the polls this protest is supported by 70% to 80% of the
French population, its core is concentrated around what we can call the
depoliticized petite-bourgeoisie, which makes it sometimes appear
“classless”. Large cities and their suburbs are less active in this
movement than peripheral regions, and workers in local industries are
more active than the ones from large industries. It is still a quite
spontaneous movement, but nevertheless a class movement.

full:
http://www.criticatac.ro/lefteast/yellow-vest-protests-in-france-an-extraordinary-political-school/