[Marxism] Goldman-Sachs and 1MDB: the discreet stench of the bourgeoisie | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Dec 26 09:54:38 MST 2018

The stench arising from 1MDB is not likely to disappear very soon. It is
a function of an Empire in decline, much like Nero’s Rome. Instead of
gladiators, we have NFL games on Sunday. With Rome relying more and more
on commodities extracted from colonies East and West by captive peoples,
the inner fiber of Roman society began to rot like a house whose
foundations had been weakened by years and years of termite infestation.
Those who hope to reconstruct American democracy on a new social
democratic footing without replacing that capitalist foundation are just
conning themselves. We need to speak the truth about the situation we
face, not sweep it under the rug.

https://louisproyect.org/2018/12/18/goldman-sachs-and-1mdb-the-discreet-stench-of-the-bourgeoisie/

NY Times, Dec. 26, 2018
What the Fall of the Roman Republic Can Teach Us About America
By Yascha Mounk

MORTAL REPUBLIC
How Rome Fell Into Tyranny
By Edward J. Watts
Illustrated. 336 pp. Basic Books. $32.

Near the beginning of the third century B.C., the Republic of Rome faced
an acute threat to its domination of the Italian peninsula. In a series
of brutal battles, Pyrrhus of Epirus and a fearsome parade of 20 war
elephants had managed to vanquish Rome’s armies. When Pyrrhus offered
Rome a comparatively lenient peace treaty, many of its senior statesmen
were keen to take the deal.

It was, Edward J. Watts shows in “Mortal Republic,” thanks to the
unrivaled strength of Rome’s political institutions that Pyrrhus’
victories ultimately issued in his proverbial defeat. When the Senate
convened to debate the offer, “an old, blind senator named Appius
Claudius was carried into the Senate house by his sons.” As the chamber
fell silent, he stood to chastise his colleagues. “I have,” he said,
“long thought of the unfortunate state of my eyes as an affliction, but
now that I hear you debate shameful resolutions which would diminish the
glory of Rome, I wish that I were not only blind but also deaf.” By
giving in to Pyrrhus, Claudius warned, the Roman Republic would only
invite more outside powers to mess with it. Low as the odds of victory
might be, Rome had no choice but to keep fighting.

Unable to pacify the Roman Republic by treaty, Pyrrhus turned to
bribery. When Fabricius, a senator widely known to be as poor as he was
distinguished, arrived to negotiate a prisoner exchange, Pyrrhus offered
him gold and silver so plentiful it would make him one of the world’s
richest men. But Fabricius refused. “The Republic of Rome provides those
who go into public life with everything they need,” he haughtily
declared. Because even a poor man could accede to the most distinguished
offices, his reputation was far more important to Fabricius than
Pyrrhus’ money.

Taken together, Watts shows, these two speeches encapsulate the
foundations of Rome’s remarkable success. At its inception, “the
republic provided a legal and political structure that channeled the
individual energies of Romans in ways that benefited the entire Roman
commonwealth.” But over the following centuries, that foundation slowly
weakened, and then rapidly collapsed.

Since the founding fathers explicitly modeled the United States on the
Roman Republic, a study that investigates the circumstances of its
demise promises to hold considerable relevance for our own times. As
Watts puts the point, the principal purpose of his book is to allow
“readers to better appreciate the serious problems that result both from
politicians who breach a republic’s political norms and from citizens
who choose not to punish them for doing so.” Does he accomplish that
ambitious goal?

In Watts’s telling of the Roman Republic’s agonizing death, slow-moving
structural transformations gradually sowed the seeds of demise. As the
population exploded and the economy became ever more sophisticated, the
growing share of poor citizens started to demand redress. But since the
institutions of the republic were dominated by patricians who had much
to lose from measures like land reform, they never fully addressed the
grievances of ordinary Romans. With popular rage against increasingly
dysfunctional institutions swelling, ambitious patricians, determined to
outflank their competitors, began to build a fervent base of support by
making outsize promises. It was these populares — populists like
Tiberius Gracchus and his younger brother Gaius — who, in their bid for
power, first broke some of the republic’s most longstanding norms.

The transformation of Rome’s army compounded the challenge of growing
inequality. In the early days of the republic, soldiers thought of their
participation in military service as a civic duty. Commanders hoped to
win great honors and perhaps to attain higher office. But by the late
second century B.C., the army had essentially been privatized.
Commanders knew that the plunder of new lands could garner them vast
riches. Their soldiers signed up for the ride in the hope of gaining a
generous allotment of land on which to start a farm. With soldiers
increasingly loyal to their commanders, and commanders doing whatever it
took to maximize the prospect of private profit, the Senate was no
longer in charge.

It took a long time for these tensions to build. But once they reached a
critical point, Rome’s descent into chaos and dysfunction was
astonishingly swift.

During the century and a half between the days of Pyrrhus and the rise
of Tiberius Gracchus, there had not been a single outbreak of
large-scale political violence. Then Tiberius pushed through land
reforms in defiance of the Senate’s veto. In the ensuing fracas, he and
hundreds of his followers were murdered. The taboo on naked power
politics had been broken, never to recover.

Over the next years, it quickly became normal for populist politicians
to set aside longstanding norms to accomplish their goals; for military
commanders to bend the Senate to their will by threatening to occupy
Rome; and for rival generals to wage war on one another. “Within a
generation of the first political assassination in Rome, politicians had
begun to arm their supporters and use the threat of violence to
influence the votes of assemblies and the election of magistrates.
Within two generations, Rome fell into civil war.”

If we are to avoid the fate that ultimately befell Rome, Watts cautions,
it is “vital for all of us to understand how Rome’s republic worked,
what it achieved and why, after nearly five centuries, its citizens
ultimately turned away from it and toward the autocracy of Augustus.” In
a sense, the book fails in this ambition. Especially as it progresses,
Watts, a professor of history at the University of California at San
Diego, abandons a careful analysis of the larger trends for a
blow-by-blow account of the many conflicts that divided the republic in
the last century of its existence. At times, this endless onslaught of
calamities — a new violation of some traditional norm, the latest
commander to threaten an invasion of Rome, one more shift in the
ever-fragile constellation of power — starts to numb the mind.

But in another sense, the sheer repetitiveness of the calamities that
befell Rome only serves to underline the book’s most urgent message. If
we were to make explicit the implicit analogy that runs all the way
through “Mortal Republic,” we would most likely cast Donald Trump as a
farcical reincarnation of Tiberius Gracchus. Like the original populist,
Trump was propelled to power by the all-too-real failures of a political
system that is unable to curb growing inequality or to mobilize its most
eminent citizens around a shared conception of the common good. And like
Gracchus, Trump believes that, because he is acting in the name of the
dispossessed, he is perfectly justified in shredding the Republic’s
traditions.

If that analogy is right, the good news is that Trump will, once the
history of our own mortal Republic is written, turn out to be a
relatively minor character. Far from single-handedly destroying our
political system, he is the transitional figure whose election
demonstrates the extent to which the failings of our democracy are
finally starting to take their toll.

The bad news is that the coming decades are unlikely to afford us many
moments of calm and tranquillity. For though four generations stand
between Tiberius Gracchus’ violent death and Augustus’ rapid ascent to
plenipotentiary power, the intervening century was one of virtually
incessant fear and chaos. If the central analogy that animates “Mortal
Republic” is correct, the current challenge to America’s political
system is likely to persist long after its present occupant has left the
White House.

Yascha Mounk is a lecturer at Harvard University and the author of “The
People vs. Democracy: Why Our Freedom Is in Danger and How to Save It.”