[Marxism] There’s a Voice Missing in Alfonso Cuarón’s “Roma”

Jeffrey Masko j.alan.masko at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 21:32:09 MST 2018

I thought I'd give a link to Catherine Grant's excellent Film Studies For
Free website for those who are interested in a deeper look at it from film
scholars. I've felt mostly ambivalent toward Cuarón's body of work and
certainly not keen on *Children of Men* (nice long takes doesn't negate
shitty politics), even though he did this years back...

Naomi Klein: The Shock Doctrine: Naomi Klein, author of "No Logo", and
Alfonso Cuaron, director of "Children of Men", present a short film from
Klein's book "The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism."
www.shockdoctrine.com (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuyRdJupbvU).

*Roma *has garnered a lot of attention and FSFF is able to get a quick turn
around that traditional peer reviewed journals cannot. It also has top rate
video essays from top scholars such as Jason Mittell.

MEDIÁTICO
<http://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/mediatico/2018/12/24/introduction-to-the-special-dossier-on-roma-alfonso-cuaron/>
- *Special Dossier on Alfonso Cuarón's Roma* (2018) by nine world-leading
scholars on Latin American Cinema

   - INTRODUCTION TO THE SPECIAL DOSSIER ON ROMA (ALFONSO CUARON)
   <http://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/mediatico/2018/12/24/introduction-to-the-special-dossier-on-roma-alfonso-cuaron/>
   by Dolores Tierney
   - WATCHING ROMA IN MEXICO CITY
   <http://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/mediatico/2018/12/24/special-dossier-on-roma-watching-roma-in-mexico-city/>
   by Paul Julian Smith
   - BROKEN MEMORY, VOICE AND VISUAL STORYTELLING
   <http://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/mediatico/2018/12/24/special-dossier-on-roma-broken-memory-voice-and-visual-storytelling/>
   by Pedro Ángel Palou
   - ALFONSO CUARÓN’S LOVE LETTER TO HIS NANA
   <http://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/mediatico/2018/12/24/special-dossier-on-roma-alfonso-cuarons-love-letter-to-his-nana/>
   by Deborah Shaw
   - CLASS TROUBLE
   <http://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/mediatico/2018/12/24/special-dossier-on-alfonso-cuarons-roma-class-trouble/>
   by Ignacio M. Sánchez Prado
   - MEMORIES OF C/LEO – ON AUTEURISM AND ROMA
   <http://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/mediatico/2018/12/24/special-dossier-on-roma-memories-of-c-leo-on-auteurism-and-roma/>
   by Jeffrey Middents
   - FEMINISM AND INTIMATE/EMOTIONAL LABOR
   <http://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/mediatico/2018/12/24/special-dossier-on-roma-feminism-and-intimate-emotional-labor/>
   by Olivia Consentino
   - THE PARADOXES OF CINEPHILIA IN THE AGE OF NETFLIX
   <http://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/mediatico/2018/12/24/special-dossier-on-roma-the-paradoxes-of-cinephilia-in-the-age-of-netflix/>
   by Belén Vidal
   - RECUERDA, NOTES ON ALFONSO CUARÓN’S ROMA
   <http://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/mediatico/2018/12/24/special-dossier-on-roma-recuerda-notes-on-alfonso-cuarons-roma/>
   by Robert Carlos Ortiz