[Marxism] Anarchist speaks from Afrin

Chris Slee chris_w_slee at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 13:17:59 MST 2018

I don't "view the entire opposition to Assad as sectarian".  However sectarian forces have become increasingly dominant within the rebel movement.

A key turning point was in 2014, when the non-sectarian Syrian Revolutionaries Front was attacked and suppressed by Jabhat al-Nusra.  The part of Idlib province that Nusra captured included Druze villages.  The Druze were forced to convert to Sunni Islam.  See:

http://www.aymennjawad.org/15969/jabhat-al-nusra-and-the-druze-of-idlib-province

Other rebel groups in Idlib province were either unwilling or unable to prevent Nusra's attack on the SRF and its forced conversion of the Druze.

Some of the SRF members who survived Nusra's attack fled to Afrin and later became part of the Syrian Democratic Forces.

Chris Slee