[Marxism] "I want change to come from this" Louisiana teacher says of arrest

Dennis Brasky dmozart1756 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 10:00:30 MST 2018

‘I Want Change to Come From This,’ Louisiana Teacher Says of Arrest

New York Times –

By DANIEL VICTOR <https://www.nytimes.com/by/daniel-victor>

Jan. 11, 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/us/deyshia-hargrave-louisiana-teacher-rally.html

On a rainy afternoon in Abbeville, La., hundreds of people showed up on
Thursday to a rally in support of Deyshia Hargrave, a teacher whose arrest
at a school board meeting
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/us/teacher-arrested-louisiana.html>
ignited a national backlash.

Many of them heeded calls to wear black in support. Speakers said her
experience at the meeting on Monday was a clear illustration of educators
struggling to make their voices heard.

Ms. Hargrave, who took the microphone to chants of “Stand by Deyshia,” said
she hoped she would inspire people to show up to their local meetings, and
her students to stand up for what they think is right.

“I want them to see past the handcuffs and the arrest, and I want change to
come from this,” she said.

Ms. Hargrave was arrested on Monday at a Vermilion Parish School Board
meeting shortly after questioning the board’s decision to give a raise to
Jerome Puyau, the superintendent, and renew his contract.