[Marxism] A CORRESPONDENCE AND READING PROJECT FOR 2018: Black Marxism by Cedric J Robinson

Andrew Stewart hasc.warrior.stew at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 16:46:56 MST 2018

Hi all

Apologies for not immediately taking up the reins regarding this effort,
have a busy work schedule.

For those who missed this column, here is the project announcement at The
North Star <http://www.thenorthstar.info/?p=13925>

I wanted to start off with the title and structure of the book, which
itself provides a very robust discussion.

I have previously encountered individuals who think the book is a catalog
of Black Marxists or something to that effect, usually in the form of
faulting Robinson for not including a given personality.

This is not what is going on here at all. Instead, the book is a
philosophical critique of Orthodox Marxism that uses historical materialism
in its most pure and non-sectarian form to offer the analysis. Robinson's
use of CLR James, WEB Du Bois, and Richard Wright are for Hegelian purposes
in that he forms a triad with them that culminates in the ending chapter of
the book.

In this regard, the title functions this same way. It is a triad of 'Black'
+ 'Marxism' = 'The Black Radical Tradition'.

After writing this book, Robinson wrote a volume titled 'An Anthropology of
Marxism', which is extremely rare and costly. Avery Gordon has written an
essay that serves as a useful substitute primer <
https://layncal.blogspot.com/2006/07/cedric-robinsons-anthropology-of.html>

I also have posted here two videos related to the book that I found useful <
https://rimediacoop.org/2017/06/11/cedric-j-robinson-black-marxism/>.

If folks are interested in moving forward, would it be amicable to set a
date by which to have completed reading the front matter of the two
prefaces and introduction?

--
Best regards,

Andrew Stewart