[Marxism] Northern Syria: Massive ethnic cleansing, humanitarian catastrophe, foreign intervention and betrayal

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jan 22 16:17:40 MST 2018

On 1/22/18 2:38 PM, Nick Fredman via Marxism wrote:
> And apparently by you. The most progressive force in the Middle East is
> under existential threat and the solidarity you got is “whatever, they had
> it coming”. That’s peace and out from me.

Maybe it was a mistake for Green Left to publish an article that accused
the FSA of being led by warlords and bandits at a time when Assad was
trying to annihilate it. That does not encourage the kind of solidarity
you are expecting now.

13 years ago I wrote an article about the Kurds that alluded to some
deeply engrained weaknesses of a movement whose overall goal is laudable:

The most striking example of Kurdish fecklessness, however, occurred in
the 1960s and '70s when they aligned themselves with Zionism, the Shah
of Iran, and US imperialism against Arab nationalism in general and Iraq
particularly.

Jonathan C. Randal, a veteran Washington Post reporter strongly
committed to the Kurdish struggle, quotes a Mossad veteran: "Put a Kurd
atop a mountain with a rifle, pita bread, and onions and he'll stop a
whole column of troops for you." (6) The support that Kurdish fighters
received from Israel paled in comparison from that originating from
Tehran. Using bases in Iran, Barzani's fighters launched bloody attacks
on northern Iraqi cities.

But ultimately it was the United States that played the Kurdish card.
During the course of Pike Committee investigations into covert spying,
it was revealed that the Kurds received funding and logistical support
from the CIA between 1972 and 1975. Notwithstanding Barzani's foolish
illusions in the United States, a 1974 CIA memo revealed his
benefactor's true intentions: "Iran, like ourselves, has seen benefit in
a stalemate situation, in which Iraq is intrinsically weakened by the
Kurds' refusal to relinquish semi-autonomy. Neither Iran nor ourselves
wish to see the matter resolved one way or the other." (7)

Unfortunately, the Kurds failed to anticipate the Shah's openness to
diplomatic maneuvers that would leave them out in the cold. In 1976 the
Shah and Saddam Hussein cut a deal in Algiers that would throw the Kurds
to the wolves. The March 15, 1975 Economist reported:

	Within 24 hours of the Algiers ceremonies, Iraqi tanks and infantry
launched an offensive from the west that soon had the Kurds in retreat
from the strategic mountain barriers beyond Rawandiz that they have held
since the early autumn in the face of successive Iraqi attacks. By the
time the ceasefire came into effect on Thursday the Iraqis commanded the
Kurds' main supply route, and Choman itself, the official Kurdish
headquarters, was exposed to direct artillery fire by the fall of Mount
Zuzak. Iraqi troops had also made substantial gains in thrusts into
Kurdistan from the south and the north. The explanation of their sudden
success is that, on the morning when the Iraqis began their offensive,
the Iranians pulled out their heavy artillery and anti-tank weapons.
They also closed the border to all fresh supplies of ammunition to the
Kurds, who were running badly short by midweek.

full: http://www.swans.com/library/art10/iraq/proyect.html