[Marxism] Northern Syria: Massive ethnic cleansing, humanitarian catastrophe, foreign intervention and betrayal

Chris Slee chris_w_slee at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 23:39:01 MST 2018

I quoted Loubna Mrie's article because it gave a good account of the process of Turkey coopting rebel groups.

I disagree with some other points in the article.

- I disagree with Mrie's interpretation of what happened in Rojava in July 2012.  In fact there was a largely peaceful uprising in Kurdish areas.  People surrounded military posts and called on the soldiers to surrender, which in most cases they did.  (See Revolution in Rojava, by Michael Knapp, Anja Flach and Ercan Ayboga, Pluto Press, 2016, p. 54-56)

The Assad regime, with its hands full elsewhere, accepted this as a fait accompli for the time being, though making it clear it wanted to eventually regain control of the Kurdish areas.

- Regarding events in Aleppo city in 2016, the conflict between the SDF and Turkish-backed rebels in Aleppo had a long history.  See for example the Amnesty International report entitled "Syria: Armed opposition groups committing war crimes in Aleppo city":

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/05/syria-armed-opposition-groups-committing-war-crimes-in-aleppo-city/

Chris Slee