[Marxism] Terreblanche Fwd: The Co-Optation of the African National Congress: South Africa’s Original ‘State Capture’

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Fri Jan 26 07:44:23 MST 2018

On 2018/01/26 12:45 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote:
> https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/01/26/the-co-optation-of-the-african-national-congress-south-africas-original-state-capture/

Thank for posting, Louis,

     We're nearing the end of Sampie's wonderful contributions, as his
brain cancer is at an advanced stage. He's 84 and his last book, four
years ago, was a 600 page critique of Western imperialism, a real tour
de force - and surprisingly, published by Penguin, though they did a
terrible marketing job.

     Still, meeting Sampie two weeks ago, he was full of energy and a
desire to see his work critiqued and spread. So on Monday we'll be doing
so with a symposium in his honor at the University of Johannesburg, with
quite a stellar roster of South African radicals cheering him on.

     If anyone wants to chip in a tribute with some few sentences by
email, or if you want to read his work, do let me know, I'll send you a
little package by email.

Cheers,

Patrick

PS, I've spent the last three days with Samir Amin - age 86 - in Dakar
(including his humble apartment in the city's oldest major building).
He's going very very strong, making constant inputs into a workshop
(where we're writing an "Alternative Report on Africa") of the Council
for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa, a group of
4000 critical intellectuals he founded more than 40 years ago. I can't
wait for the next MR Press book he has authored, the second half of his
autobiography. Amazing! Our continent has some of the finest critics of
Washington's shithole imperialism.