[Marxism] Fwd: Act and Punishment | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jan 26 08:56:44 MST 2018

On August 22, 2012, my first article on CounterPunch appeared. Defending
Pussy Riot against those on the left who supported the arrest of the
three punk rockers who had been jailed for singing (or yowling) “Mother
of God, chase Putin away” in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, my
article began:

"Given the sharp divide on the left between those who consider the BRIC
(Brazil, Russia, India, and China) governments to be the first line of
defense against Western imperialism and those who take the sides of the
victims of such governments even when the U.S. State Department takes up
their cause as well, it should not come as a surprise that the Pussy
Riot trial has become a litmus test. Support for Pussy Riot is a sign
that you are catching Christopher Hitchens flu or worse."

That was the first in a series of 243 articles appearing under my name
at CounterPunch that comes full circle today with a review of “Act and
Punishment”, a 2015 documentary on Pussy Riot that can now be rented on
Amazon.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2018/01/26/act-and-punishment/