[Marxism] Tired of Their Veils, Some Iranian Women Stage Rare Protests

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jan 30 09:59:25 MST 2018

(An interesting development. In the next upsurge in the class struggle,
you might find two rivers converging into a tsunami (sorry for the mixed
metaphors.) You will see a continuation of the rural protests over
economic issues and the demand of Tehran's secular-minded middle-class
for an end to clerical repression.)

NY Times, Jan. 30, 2018
Tired of Their Veils, Some Iranian Women Stage Rare Protests
By THOMAS ERDBRINK

TEHRAN — Climbing atop a five-foot-tall utility box in one of Tehran’s
busiest squares on Monday, an Iranian woman removed her head scarf, tied
it to a stick and waved it for all to see.

It was no small feat in Iran, where women can be arrested for publicly
flouting the Islamic requirement that they cover their hair.

But there she stood, her curly hair blowing in the breeze. No one
protested. In fact, she was applauded by many people. Taxi drivers and
older women took her picture. The police, who maintain a booth in the
square, either did not see her or decided not to intervene.

“My hands were trembling,” the 28-year-old said, asking not to be named
out of fear of arrest. “I was anxious and feeling powerful at the same
time. And proud, I felt proud.”

She was not alone. On Monday several other women, a total of six,
according to social media accounts, made the same symbolic gesture:
taking off their head scarves in public and waving them on a stick,
emulating a young woman who climbed on the same sort of utility box on
Dec. 27 and was subsequently arrested. Activists say she has since been
released, but she still has not resurfaced in public.

At least one of the women protesting on Monday was arrested by the
police, a shopkeeper who witnessed the arrest said.

The protests, still small in number, are nevertheless significant as a
rare public sign that dissatisfaction with certain Islamic laws
governing personal conduct may have reached a boiling point. As the
28-year-old woman said, “I took my scarf off because I’m tired of our
government telling me what to do with my body.”

And some said this might just be the beginning. “My guess is that more
of these protests will follow,” said Nasrin Sotoudeh, a lawyer and human
rights activist. “It’s obvious that some women want to decide for
themselves what to wear.”

That remains to be seen, but the protests have already gained enough
attention to provoke angry reactions in some quarters.

“These protests are done by instigators, saboteurs and vandalists and
anarchists,” said one critic, Kazem Anbarlooie, the editor in chief of
the hard-line newspaper Resalat. “Recently our enemies were communists
and liberals, now Americans are provoking masochists against us.”

The first protest in December took place on a Wednesday and seemed
connected to the White Wednesday campaign, an initiative by Masih
Alinejad, an exiled Iranian journalist and activist living in the United
States. Ms. Alinejad has reached out to Iranian women on
Persian-language satellite television and through social media, and via
a website she runs called My Stealthy Freedom. On the website, women
post images of themselves without head scarves, demanding an end to the
compulsory head scarf law.

During Monday’s protests some women waved white scarves, the symbol of
Mrs. Alinejad’s campaign.

Hard-liners say that foreign intelligence agencies, including the
Central Intelligence Agency, have been nurturing protests in Iran, like
those that broke out in 80 cities at the end of last year. Nearly 4,000
people were arrested and 25 died, according to official statistics. The
hard-liners have not provided proof to back up their claims.

The Islamic head scarf, or hijab, is seen by Iranian ideologues as a
pillar of the Islamic Republic of Iran. The law regarding the scarf has
been enforced since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, and a head scarf is
obligatory for every woman in the country, even tourists and visiting
foreign dignitaries.

While discriminatory Islamic divorce and inheritance laws pose problems
for individual women, the head scarf is a highly public symbol of a set
of personal rules imposed by Iran’s clerical leaders, who decide what
people can wear, what music they can listen to and what television
programs and movies they get to see. Men are also the subject of
clothing laws: They are forbidden to wear shorts in public.

During the past decade, influenced by the rise of the internet,
satellite television and cheap foreign travel, many Iranians have grown
deeply resentful of rules that they can see for themselves are out of
step with most of the rest of the world. Many have become relatively
secular and feel increasingly unwelcome in the fixed-in-stone state
version of Shiite Islam, and many have taken to flouting the rules
whenever and wherever they feel free enough to do so.

In past years, the morality police zealously enforced the rules,
arresting women and men who violated them. But under the current
president, Hassan Rouhani, a moderate, those officers have largely been
taken off the streets.

Their removal was a gesture to a radically changed society, but it was
also a recognition that there were not enough enforcers available to
control a society that resents and rejects the rules. Women without head
scarves can be seen everywhere in Tehran, in their cars, in shopping
centers and even on the street, but always with the scarves draped over
their shoulders, as if they have only just slipped off.

But the public protests are different because they are a symbolic
rejection of authority and a statement that some young women are
apparently ready to emulate. “I was working when I saw the image of
another woman protesting on social media,” the 28-year-old said in a
telephone interview. She said she informed some friends and co-workers
about her intentions.

“If a lot of people do this, it will have more influence, I thought, so
I went,” she said. At Ferdowsi Square, one of the busiest places in
Tehran, she used a tree branch to clamber on top of the utility box next
to a traffic light.

“ ‘Good going,’ ” she said many people shouted. “After five or six
minutes people urged me to step down.” They did not have a problem with
her protest, she said, but they had what they wanted. “They had taken
enough pictures to put on social media,” she said.