[Marxism] Dangerously Low on Water, Cape Town Now Faces ‘Day Zero’

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 20:03:31 MST 2018

> On Jan 30, 2018, at 7:27 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> (I never understood the big deal made over peak oil or the strenuous attempts to debunk it. For me, the real threat has always been "peak water".)

The production and distribution of essentially everything on which modern societies depend — including water — is excruciatingly dependent on developed energy systems. Given the massive and persistent reliance of water purification and distribution on liquid FFs, and the equally massive and persistent reliance of modern energy generation on water supply, it really isn’t possible to sustain in any meaningful way the distinction Lou relies on here between “peak oil” and “peak water.”

Here’s the abstract for just one recent scientific paper exploring the issue in some detail:

“The world’s current utilisation of water, allied to the forecasted increase in our dependence on it, has led to the realisation that water as a resource needs to be managed. The scarcity and cost of water worldwide, along with water management practices within Europe, are highlighted in this paper. The heavy dependence of energy generation on water and the similar dependence of water treatment and distribution on energy, collectively termed the water–energy nexus, is detailed. A summary of the recently launched ISO14046 Water Footprint Standard along with other benchmarking measures is outlined and a case history of managing water using the Energy Management Standard ISO50001 is discussed in detail. From this, the requirement for a methodology for improvement of water management has been identified, involving a value system for water streams, which, once optimised will improve water management including efficiency and total utilisation.”

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212371715000207 <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212371715000207>