[Marxism] DSA member Ocasio-Cortez elected

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jul 1 12:58:16 MDT 2018

On 7/1/18 2:47 PM, Jason wrote:
> Marx's statement is not a general position on the "spoiler" problem. It
> even specifies that that was a case which could result in the "presence
> of a few reactionaries", i.e. he could've said, "Don't let the 'spoiler'
> problem but the sole or ultimate determinate." Fine and good.
>
> Even more, this was during a revolution and he says: "If the forces of
> democracy take decisive, terroristic action against the reaction from
> the very beginning, the reactionary influence in the election will
> already have been destroyed", i.e. not our situation at all.

Except that Marx was talking not about events happening *during* a
revolution but afterwards when a "democratic party" has taken power. He
was actually anticipating the rise of Bismarck that bamboozled many on
the left, including Lassalle. Bismarck was the Obama of his day, with
all sorts of reforms to keep the workers placated except that Bismarck's
health plan was a lot better than Obama's.

> Further, in terms of "spoiling," Nimtz and others record how the 'Marx
> party' in the US intervened in 1864 to convince Fremont to withdraw his
> candidacy to avoid spoiling the election leading to Lincoln's defeat.
> Perhaps Marx knew nothing of this and would've opposed this--but I'm
> doubtful on both counts and would disagree with him if he had.

I find references to Marx and Lincoln fairly pointless. If Marx
supported a Republican because he waged a revolutionary war against
chattel slavery, I will be the first Marxist to support a Democratic
president's war against wage slavery.