[Marxism] Antifa Activists Are Freaking Out About a Proposed 'Unmasking' Law - VICE

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 12 05:41:57 MDT 2018

On 7/11/18 10:19 PM, Saman Sepehri via Marxism wrote:
> Louis, seriously... this is what you are focusing on? Rather than this is a right wing attack, comparing anti-fascists to the KKK?
> S.

Okay. let me spell things out. The black bloc is a counter-productive
tactic no matter the intentions of those that carry it out. When you
wear masks and go on window-breaking rampages, it allows the state to
discredit the entire movement. It also leads to terrible victimization.
A number of people who had nothing to do with the window-breaking idiocy
on Inauguration Day were swept up by the cops and now face lengthy
prison terms.

If a law is passed that prevents people wearing masks at protests, that
will have zero impact on legitimate mass movement building. The Vietnam
antiwar movement, the civil rights movement, the gay movement, the
woman's liberation movement, the anti-nuclear movement all produced
significant gains without having people wearing masks and breaking windows.

These ultraleft idiots have to get their act together if the law passes.
It may lead to agent-provocateurs finding other ways to make money but
the economy is expanding and they should do okay.