[Marxism] The Dying Light | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 13 07:30:09 MDT 2018

The name Tony McKenna might ring a bell with CounterPunch readers since
he has written a number of very informative articles here over the
years, the most recent being one on “Trump, Obama and the Nature of
Fascism”. When I learned that he had written a novel titled “The Dying
Light”, I requested a review copy since I was curious to see if his
fiction chops were as strong as his nonfiction’s.

Speaking for myself, I entertained hopes of writing fiction after I left
the Trotskyist movement in 1978. It was only after reading the chapter
in Saul Bellow’s “Herzog”, where he describes the bathroom toiletries of
Herzog’s former lover in intimate detail as a way of casting light on
her psychologically, that I decided to stick to politics. If I lived to
a thousand, I could not write as brilliantly as Bellow. By the same
token, if he could have lived to a thousand, he would not be able to
write anything but trash when it came to politics.

On one level, “The Dying Light” might be described as a historical novel
since it is based on a little-known aspect of life in London in 1940,
when many of its citizens began living in abandoned subway stations, or
what they call the Tube, to protect themselves from German bombs. In a
nod to the “Newsreels” of John Dos Passos’s great U.S.A. trilogy,
McKenna includes an editorial from a faux newspaper called the
Birchington Gazette:

	During the Blitz, when the bombing was at its most intense, hundreds of
thousands of Londoners took shelter in the Underground. First realised
as a temporary spontaneous measure, it was initially opposed by
government who used the police to lock down tube stations. Nevertheless,
large crowds pushed their w through, winning the right to occupy London
subterranean levels.

	The occupation, however, swiftly grew something more than a temporary
means of escaping bombs. Rather, it became a way of life. People set up
home in the spaces beneath the city. The social research organisation
Mass Observation describes how “for the first time in many hundreds of
years…civilized families conducted the whole of their leisure and
domestic lives in full view of each other. Most of these people were not
merely sheltering in the tubes; they were living there.

Using this premise, McKenna tells the story of children who have taken
over an abandoned station that a child named Georgie calls Ruritania. He
has a very active imagination just like the author.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2018/07/13/the-dying-light/