[Marxism] More Recycling Won't Solve Plastic Pollution

Dennis Brasky dmozart1756 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 20:08:30 MDT 2018

The only thing worse than being lied to is not knowing you’re being lied
to. It’s true that plastic pollution is a huge problem, of planetary
proportions
<https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/planetorplastic/>. And it’s
true we could all do more to reduce our plastic footprint. The lie is that
blame for the plastic problem is wasteful consumers and that changing our
individual habits will fix it.

Recycling plastic is to saving the Earth what hammering a nail is to
halting a falling skyscraper. You struggle to find a place to do it and
feel pleased when you succeed. But your effort is wholly inadequate and
distracts from the real problem of why the building is collapsing in the
first place. The real problem is that single-use plastic—the very idea of
producing plastic items like grocery bags, which *we use for an average of
12 minutes <https://www.5gyres.org/plastic-bags/>* but can persist in the
environment for half a millennium—is an incredibly reckless abuse of
technology. Encouraging individuals to recycle more will never solve the
problem of a massive production of single-use plastic that should have been
avoided in the first place.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/more-recycling-wont-solve-plastic-pollution/

If we keep producing (and failing to properly dispose of) plastics at
predicted rates, plastics in the ocean will outweigh fish pound for pound
in 2050.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/20/by-2050-there-will-be-more-plastic-than-fish-in-the-worlds-oceans-study-says/