[Marxism] Protests in Iraq spread as people ignore bans (ANF)

mkaradjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 09:18:49 MDT 2018

"Some bourgeois media reports say the demonstrators are hostile to
Iranian influence in Iraq"

Probably because they chanted slogans such as "Iran, we don't want you
anymore." https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/07/iraq-protests-rage-poor-public-services-unemployment-180714065815048.html
and "attacked and set fire to office buildings used by Prime Minister
Haider al-Abadi's Islamic Dawa Party, the Iranian-backed Al-Badr
Organisation and the Shia Supreme Islamic Council Party."

Pro-iranian Kataib Hizbullah’s office in Najaf going up in flames
after bring torched by the protesters:
https://twitter.com/thestevennabil/status/1017878799097008129

The al-Jazeera article shows it is very much a revolt of the poor:

"These protests are for the oppressed people of Basra," said a
demonstrator. "We are asking for what is rightfully ours. The
government should provide clean water, job opportunities, electricity
and basic infrastructure. These basic needs are the responsibility of
the prime minister and the governor."

Mohammed Jabbar, 29, an unemployed college graduate, said the
demonstrators will not stop until their demands are met.

"If they don't create jobs and improve services such as water and
electricity, we will close down Basra and oil production," he said.

Spring continues.