[Marxism] The Moral and Spiritual Bankruptcy of White Evangelicals

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 20 09:09:10 MDT 2018

On 7/20/18 10:48 AM, Ken Hiebert via Marxism wrote

> https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/07/19/the-moral-and-spiritual-bankruptcy-of-white-evangelicals <https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/07/19/the-moral-and-spiritual-bankruptcy-of-white-evangelicals>
>
> As we have seen, on this list there are a few of us who grew up in this milieu.
> While my own reasons for breaking with this upbringing were quite shallow (the desire to fit in with my peers, sexual repression, etc.) I do wonder what would have been the case if my church had had more moral authority.

This reminds me. I had the most extraordinary experience yesterday that
falls under the rubric of religious fundamentalism. I was in upstate NY
working with a drone pilot I had hired for 2 days. We were in Old Falls,
a tiny hamlet that abuts the Neversink River getting his drone set up,
when a guy pulled up in a panel truck marked security. At first we
thought that maybe the local authorities were going to give us a hassle
but it was only a guy whose job it was to install home security systems.

His name was Yitzy and he was a Hasidic Jew that belonged to the Puppa
sect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppa_(Hasidic_dynasty)) that I had
never heard of but is affiliated with the Satmars that I knew quite a
bit about. The Satmars had colonized my village a couple of miles away
from Old Falls starting about 25 years ago and my family home is now
owned by members.

The Satmars are rivals of the Lubavitch sect, distinguished by their
belief that a Jewish state can only be realized when the Messiah comes.
A sub-sect called Neturei Karta can be seen at anti-Zionist rallies
organized by WWP and PSL.

It turns out that Yitzy owns a drone himself and was anxious to talk
shop with us. He also is on an Instagram-type website
(https://www.yooying.com/yitzygeephotography) where he describes himself
as a "Wildlife photographer מה רבו מעשיך ה׳ the wonderful creation of
G-D". He brought a Nikon camera from out of his truck that had a
foot-long telephoto lens.

I had an interesting chat with him about how he fits in with the Satmars
since they are opposed to members going online, or even using smart
phones. He said that even though he is faithful, the Internet is a huge
part of his life, including Netflix.

He is aware of films that are critical of the Hasids, using subjects
that have broken with various sects but still feels part of that world.
He was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt but you could see his sidelocks
(payis) tucked neatly behind his ears. On Saturday he dons the
traditional Satmar clothing and goes to synagogue.

The main thing that struck me was his openness and intellectual
curiosity. Like most Hasids, he only attended religious schools but is
an autodidact. He taught himself English and Spanish and is obviously
anxious to learn more about life and culture outside the sect. An
extraordinary young man whose website is well worth checking out.