[Marxism] Helsinki: Was it "excellent"? Should we care?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 20 15:49:04 MDT 2018

On 7/20/18 5:23 PM, John Reimann via Marxism wrote:
> To answer that, we should consider the Helsinki press conference and the
> meeting of Putin-Trump itself.

This doesn't really apply to Marxmail that is largely focused on class
rather than geopolitical chess games but I finally got sick of people on
FB lambasting the Democratic Party's exploitation of all this
Trump-Putin crapola. So I wrote this:

Frankly, I don't care if Russia helped Trump get elected or not. As
someone who spent 5 years trying to support Sandinista Nicaragua in the
1980s to early 90s, I can write a book about all the ways in which the
State Department, the NED, the CIA and people like General Singlaub
helped overthrow the government through a combination of terror and
disinformation through La Prensa.

That being said, I do wonder whether some of you denouncing (rightfully)
the Democratic Party's hysteria over this business had so little to say
for the past 7 years about the vast network of Assadist propagandists
who took their marching orders from RT.com, starting with people like
Max Blumenthal who used his credibility based on Palestinian solidarity
to write shit that made Syrian and Russian terror bombing of hospitals
acceptable to large swaths of the left.

It wasn't only jackasses like Blumenthal. You had fucking thousands of
people on Twitter who every time a chemical attack took place would
circulate the drivel written by Seymour Hersh, Robert Fisk and Theodore
Postol. All these fucking Twitter accounts belonged to people with fake
names like RedAvenger and featured pictures of Assad, Stalin and Mao Zedong.

Plus, a thousand and one websites like Moon of Alabama, The Saker, 21st
Century Wire, UNZ Review, Consortium News, DissidentVoice, Off-Guardian,
and Information Clearing House that one day after a chemical attack
would all reproduce the talking points of Assad and the Kremlin.

How is it that none of this seems to have gotten under your skin? Maybe
because you agree with Max Blumenthal that the White Helmets are
al-Qaeda and that we need to bomb the shit out of the slums they are
serving before they come over here and force Sharia law on hipster Brooklyn?