[Marxism] The excuses some Marxists make for voting Democratic (part one) | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jul 21 11:49:41 MDT 2018

On 7/21/18 1:14 PM, Jason wrote:
> Two points:
> 1) I think advocating such standards as a precondition is infinitely
> different and better than simply saying "never-vote"/"it's a 'class line'".
> 2) While I want to strengthen the DSA's standards in this regard, its
> electoral work already substantially meets these requirements: there is
> no joint platform, there are no binding agreements and it is not
> prevented from criticizing the Democratic Party. The NYC DSA for
> instance, even when it has supported its own members' elections, has
> maintained full independence over messaging and electoral work.
>
> -Jason Hicks

I don't know how to break this to you but the DSA is INSIDE the
Democratic Party. Its goal is to strengthen the left-wing of the DP. The
Bolsheviks were not INSIDE the Cadets. They wrote scathing attacks on it
for decades and only considered a tactical agreement with it, just as
they did with the BLACK-HUNDREDS. The goal in either case was not to
prop up capitalist parties that were the Russian counterparts of our own
two-party system but to carry out maneuvers that would get some
Bolshevik seated in the Duma.

I hope that this clarifies matters even though your dogmatism will
likely block such an outcome.