[Marxism] Fwd: excerpt from NY Times article "A Vote Expanded Medicaid in Maine. The Governor Is Ignoring It."

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 25 09:20:26 MDT 2018

Donna Wall, 61, a plaintiff in the lawsuit, is uninsured. She racked up
$60,000 in debt after shattering her ankle when she fell on an icy
sidewalk in Lewiston last December while delivering newspapers in the
middle of the night, a job that paid her $150 a week.

A GoFundMe.com campaign raised more than $10,000 to help her. But Ms.
Wall, who cares full time for her 20-year-old autistic twins and donates
blood plasma for extra income, is eager for the security of Medicaid
coverage. She applied for it on July 3, a day after the state was
supposed to start covering the newly eligible population under the law.

“The governor has this preconceived notion that we’re lazy,” Ms. Wall
said on Tuesday. “I would love for him to come and live with me a couple
weeks, see what it’s like to take care of the boys.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/health/maine-medicaid-expansion-lepage.html