[Marxism] Nicaragua: A View from the Left

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 27 08:14:44 MDT 2018

On 7/27/18 9:41 AM, Jason wrote:
> Since when was it a thing to demand movements start with a certain
> program to deserve our solidarity? This is the same kind of thinking
> that enabled some leftists to ignore and deride the Syrian revolution
> and de facto defend Assad.

Are you seriously comparing Daniel Ortega with Bashar al-Assad? If you
were a student in the University of Damascus that passed out leaflets
inviting people to a meeting calling for the overthrow of the Baathists,
you'd be thrown in prison and either tortured or killed. Meanwhile, in
Nicaragua the universities are strongholds of open anti-Sandinista
opposition.

Furthermore, you are not responding to what I wrote. I did not line up
with Ortega like the "Popular Resistance" article in today's
Counterpunch. In fact, if you go through the archives of this mailing
list, you will see my frequent attacks on his boneheaded canal scheme,
his opposition to abortion rights, etc. I am actually in favor of his
removal but not by some dirtbag like Eduardo Montealegre.

The movement against him in Nicaragua is deeply problematic. Even a
supporter of the movement details its shortcomings in NACLA:

https://nacla.org/news/2018/07/03/deciphering-nicaraguan-student-uprising-descifrando-el-levantamiento-estudiantil

Yet not everyone who supports the movement shares this revolutionary
nostalgia. In fact, many in the movement and the civic alliance are
fervent anti-Sandinistas. These are people who do not just oppose Ortega
and Murillo in the current context but also pro-capitalists who have
attacked the Sandinistas since their emergence. This group includes
Somocistas (those who defend the legacy of the Somoza dictatorship),
Liberals, Conservatives, and former Contras. There is growing evidence
that from the ranks of anti-Sandinistas such groups are arming
themselves and gaining momentum.

Meanwhile, labor unions-—government-sponsored or otherwise—-appear to
have little sway in the movement, though human rights organizations like
the Nicaraguan Center for Human Rights (CENIDH) and the Maria Elena
Cuadra maquila network claim to represent the interests of workers and
women in the larger alliance and national dialogue. Some members of the
private sector, who claim to represent the interests not only of capital
interests but also labor, have called for a National Strike.

Further, representation of peasants and farmers, who make up over 40% of
Nicaragua’s population, is incomplete. While some farmers are involved
in a movement against a proposed trans-oceanic canal through Nicaragua,
this group has little connection to the much larger northern and
northwestern agricultural parts of the country and the demands of
campesinos living there. So, it is unclear where farmers and other rural
sectors might fall in the context of the national movement.