[Marxism] Fwd: How Did Communist China Become a Capitalist Superpower?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Mar 3 06:02:53 MST 2018

SHARMINI PERIES:	Professor Cohn, in your book you analyze the transition
of the Chinese economy from Maoist to "iron rice bowl" policy to a
neoliberal policy. What kind of domestic factors contributed to this
transition?

STEVE COHN:	Yeah. My book's really a sociology of knowledge study, the
replacement in China of Marxist economics by neoclassical economics, and
that of course facilitated neoliberal policies. So it's a fascinating
sociology of how people came to think about things in a different way,
and of course that facilitated different policies. They're both domestic
and international or Western pressures or actors in the story, but you
asked about the domestic ones, so I'll say something about that.

There really were about five major domestic factors that promoted the
expansion of neoclassical economics in China. I might digress for a
second to say in 1978, when the reforms began, the entire Chinese
economics profession, the teaching of economics, the curriculum and
schools, the public discussion was conducted in Marxist language. Today,
all of that has changed. It's conducted in neoclassical language. The
curriculum in universities, the journals, the editorial policy, the
promotion policy, the criteria for tenure has been reconfigured to be
consistent with neoclassical economics.

full:
http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=21218