[Marxism] Fwd: How to change the course of human history | Eurozine

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Mar 3 07:01:30 MST 2018

On 3/3/18 8:43 AM, Carl G. Estabrook wrote:
> The 20th c. version  of the argument was set off by Marshall Sahlins a
> half-century ago in "Notes on the Original Affluent Society,” in /Man
> the Hunter, ed./ R.B. Lee and I. DeVore
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_affluent_society>. Twenty years
> later Ernest Gellner extended the account in /Plough, Sword and Book./

You can also find a similar analysis in Thomas C. Patterson's "The Inca
Empire: The Formation and Disintegration of a Pre-Capitalist State",
which describes the forced assimilation of non-class based villages into
the Inca empire. Also, Eleanor Leacock's extensive body of research on
indigenous peoples. Plus V. Gordon Childe's "Man Makes Himself". I am
surprised that Graeber does not bother to engage with Marxist
anthropology and focuses his article on answering Jared Diamond.