[Marxism] ‘The Game Done Changed’: Reconsidering ‘The Wire’ Amidst the Baltimore Uprising | The Nation

Jeffrey Masko j.alan.masko at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 12:17:40 MDT 2018

Sorry, "David Simon" did not make the wire. Films are cooperative
activities and rarely, if ever in classical narrative productions, can be
said to be the product of one person.  Next, you mistake the map for the
territory, it's a film, a narrative construction that happens, in this
case, to shed light on inner city living to a largely white audience; I
love Dave Zirin, but if he wants a film that portrays a community where
"voices of people organizing *together* for change," then he should write
his own screenplay and work in the film business.

Now, I'm not saying don't critique, but critique the film/television show
for what it is, not what you think it should be. Of course, "there’s a lot
wrong with “The Wire,” but what do you expect from a narrative structure
that centers in on conflict and focuses on the protagonist ? Even if there
is no clearly defined antagonist, you are still trapped in the
interpersonal stories that in some ways, Neorealist Cinema was reacting too
in Mid 20th century Italy. To expect *The Wire *break away from the film
apparatus that defines both form and content is asking far too much of it.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 2:52 PM, MM via Marxism <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu

--

J.A. Masko
College of Communications

  "The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without
becoming disillusioned."

           Antonio Gramsci.