[Marxism] Creating Abundance - Cambridge University Press

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Mar 22 17:12:20 MDT 2018

On 3/22/18 6:46 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote

> Before long, I'll be writing something about the debate taking place
> between Alan Olmstead and Paul Rohde on one side and the new historians
> of slavery like Edward Baptist, which rehashes many of the debates that
> took place over Eric Williams's "Capitalism and Slavery".

This is from an article taking the side of Olmstead and Rohde:

"But more importantly, the vast literature on the industrial revolution
that economic historians have produced shows that it originated in the
creation and adoption of a wide range of technologies, such as the steam
engine and coke blast furnace, which were not directly connected to
textile trading networks."

Incredible. Not being able of making the connection between steam power
and textile production. Even we learned this in seventh grade social
studies classes on the industrial revolution.