[Marxism] Reflections on the March for Our Lives | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 27 10:32:40 MDT 2018

Mark Lause said:
Always happy to see mass actions, of course . . . more so by young people
who may develop the habit.

However, it's never been clear to me how this was going to be any different
than the mass women's marches that greeted Trump's inauguration.  That was
tremendously inspiring at the time, even though we knew that it would
almost certainly be broken to bits and digested by the Democrats at their
next banquet.

Ken Hiebert replies:
I think Mark and others are correct to observe that the Women’s March and the March For Our Lives were opportunities for the Democratic Party to present themselves in a favourable light.  This is especially true given the weakness of the left.
Of course the real question is what do we do about this.  Surely the place to challenge the influence of the Democratic Party is within these movements.

A related question.  Where is the Green Party in these movements?  Do they have a presence as a party?