[Marxism] To combat left anti-semitism, Corbynism must change the way it sees the world

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Mar 28 14:53:34 MDT 2018

Just a reminder. I posted a link to Richard Seymour's analysis of this
issue the other day. I don't have much use for his Lacanian mumbo-jumbo
but he is probably one of England's most insightful supporters of Jeremy
Corbyn. He wrote:

Mear One's mural was antisemitic. If Trump posted an image of that mural
on his Twitter feed, it would immediately be recognised for what it is.
It is the idea that it is in some way associated with the Left, promoted
by the artist himself and by some of those who offer him platforms, that
has caused confusion.

This means that what the Left says about antisemitism matters, because
it can either marginalise it or normalise it among people who listen to
what the Left is saying. Lutfur Rahman was right to have it painted
over. Corbyn was wrong to have defended it in a Facebook comment at the
time, and he's rightly embarrassed about it and trying to fix it. It's
the least that any leader of the Left should do. I am not suggesting his
politics should be judged on the basis of an offhand Facebook comment,
but he's right, and not pusillanimous as some think, to address it at
the scale that he is.

Nothing would be worse, at this moment, than for the Left to adopt the
crankish, defensive and pointlessly antagonistic rhetoric of some of
those organising 'against the witch hunt'. I have no doubt that many of
Corbyn's critics are recklessly opportunistic, and instrumentalising the
issue for ends that aren't to do with reducing antisemitism. I also
think it ludicrous that media reports have consistently inflated
unrepresentative examples of antisemitic behaviour into evidence of
systemic, pervasive antisemitism in Labour -- on which issue, the Jewish
Labour Movement has made some constructive statements. (Also listen to
Jamie Stern-Weiner.)

But that isn't a reason to dodge this, or the wider issue. At a time
when various forms of fascism and populist reaction are on the rise,
antisemitism risks acquiring a degree of political clout it hasn't had
for decades. The Left has a unique responsibility to address and combat
this, both in itself and as part of a general increase in racism. It
would be unable to do so if it was tying itself up in knots defending
the indefensible.

full: https://www.patreon.com/posts/three-points-and-17775436