[Marxism] To combat left anti-semitism, Corbynism must change the way it sees the world

Jeff meisner at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 28 18:09:55 MDT 2018

On 2018-03-28 18:40, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote:

> https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/03/combat-left-anti-semitism-corbynism-must-change-way-it-sees-world

I think the article that started this discussion is rather crumby and
won't address it. It focuses on Corbyn who I do not believe is
antisemitic nor is antisemitism in the labor party an important actual
issue. I have no doubt that the charge of antisemitism is just being
used to attack the left wing of that party as it is routinely used
against supporters of Palestine thus including (essentially) the entire
far left. A party as large and diverse as the British Labor party is
bound to have individuals with antisemitic (among other evil) views, and
not being a member or even living in Britain I would have to trust them
to do their own housecleaning in these regards. If Corbyn made a mistake
(it couldn't have been any more than that) then he can and should
address his error and move on. And the proposition in the article, which
I've heard before from some of the "anti-Deutsch" (pro-zionist leftists,
especially in Germany), that antisemitism is "not racism" but something
unique, is a despicable way of separating anti-racist struggles from
each other and privileging one particular minority which does not (at
least in Britain) face significant oppression.

Having said that, however, I don't think we can just ignore the issue.
Because there are really two potential problems: 1) Actual antisemitism
within the left; and 2) The perception of antisemitism by the left. I
don't think that (1) is a widespread problem and I expect every left
group to keep it that way. However the perception of antisemitism is
clearly hurtful to the left. NOT because it will drive Jews away from
the left, since left-wing Jews understand as well as anyone why these
spurious charges are so frequently heard from our enemies (and sometimes
parroted within the left). But because any form of racism is so opposite
our values and the message that we are trying to convey, so that if one
form of racism is tolerated or excused then one would conclude that we
have no principles and might equally find other racist ideas acceptable.
More specifically, if our opposition to Israel is seen as a result of
antisemitism (as is frequently charged) or if antisemitic ideas are seen
as legitimate (or excusable) in the fight for Palestinian
self-determination, then the left may suffer greatly due to that
perception alone.

It isn't our fault, but it is our problem. I think that what has changed
since, say, 20 years ago, is the rise of the alt-right (and such forces)
in conjunction with the red-brown alliance. When leftists engage in
conspiracy theories (which they have to in order to justify their awful
positions on Syria, for instance!) and these are the same conspiracy
theories advanced by the far right, then we ALL become identified with
the sort of thinking which includes antisemitism among other ideologies
that have nothing to do with the left or our values. A case in point is
our insisting -- correctly! -- that "anti-Zionism is not antisemitism."
As we've been arguing for a long time, we're against Zionism because it
oppresses the Palestinians and we call for solutions that end the
oppression of Palestine and these would also be in the interest of Jews
living in that region (except for the class enemy among them, of
course). Unfortunately the success of our campaigns in that regard gave
a brilliant idea to the far right: instead of expressing their hate for
Jews, just say that they are "pro-Palestinian"! Of course these white
racists have always seen Arabs in the same light as other people of
color (and routinely oppose their immigration to Europe), but are smart
enough to shut up about that while taking up OUR slogans against Israel
for the WRONG REASONS. It isn't our fault that they are doing that, but
IT IS OUR PROBLEM.

I'll end there and hope that this point leads to further discussion on
solutions to the problem I have identified, which I do see as crucial.

- Jeff