[Marxism] “Could You Do Any Better Than We Did?” | Boston Review

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 2 07:25:56 MDT 2018

It was inevitable that William Vollmann would eventually write about
climate change. As a journalist and essayist, Vollmann has reported on
war, prostitution, and train-hopping. He has penned a 7-volume treatise
on justifications of violence, a 1,300-page investigation of Imperial
County, California, and a study of Japanese Noh theater. As a novelist,
he has described the European encounter with Native Americans in his
Seven Dreams series and examined the Eastern Front of World War II in
Europe Central, which won the 2005 National Book Award.

Now, drawing on his longstanding preoccupations with individual morality
in the face of historical upheaval and the interaction between humans
and the environment, he has written Carbon Ideologies, a two-part
examination of global warming and why we cannot seem to do anything to
address it.

full:
http://bostonreview.net/science-nature/william-vollmann-ted-hamilton-any-better