[Marxism] Letter on Cuba

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Thu May 3 10:57:54 MDT 2018

Published May 2. The Globe & Mail is the more authoritative paper in English Canada, but, to the best of my knowledge, does not have as big a readership as the Toronto Daily Star.

			ken h
* * * * *

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/letters/article-may-2-lets-face-it-finances-in-alberta-plus-other-letters-to-the/ <https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/letters/article-may-2-lets-face-it-finances-in-alberta-plus-other-letters-to-the/>
U.S. embargo on Cuba

Re A Cuba Without A Castro (April 28): Vicki Huddleston, a former ambassador who was chief of the U.S. Interests Section in Havana, writes of a clash with Fidel Castro in 1991. In response to his claim that the U.S. embargo was killing Cuban children, she said, “That’s not true. When Cuba holds free and fair elections with international observers we will lift the embargo.”

The motivation for the embargo, and the conditions of its lifting are hardly a response to his claim. They are not proof that the embargo was not responsible for the death of Cuban children.

In any case, if the lack of satisfactory elections were the reason for the ongoing embargo, wouldn’t we expect an embargo of Saudi Arabia?

Ken Hiebert, Ladysmith, B.C.