[Marxism] Nicaraguan contradictions | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 4 11:14:21 MDT 2018

So what had happened in Nicaragua since Daniel Ortega became the
president once again in 2007 and was reelected two more times? I really
hadn’t paid much attention to the country other than to call attention
to what was obviously an environmentally unsound project to build a new
canal underwritten by a Chinese investor.

After reading more than a hundred pages of mostly scholarly material
from behind the JSTOR paywall, I have come to the conclusion that Ortega
can be described in Marxist terms as a left Bonapartist or what is
commonly known in Latin America as a caudillo. He abandoned the FSLN’s
original program that promised once in power to “plan the national
economy, putting an end to the anarchy characteristic of the capitalist
system of production.” Instead, he embraced capitalist measures, even to
the point of enlisting the support of COSEP, the powerful instrument of
Nicaragua’s bourgeoisie. However, unlike Violetta Chamorro, whose
neoliberal policies tore apart the country in much the same way that
Pinochet’s did in Chile, he adopted what Ortega’s economic adviser
Bayardo Arce called a “market economy with a preferential option for the
poor”.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2018/05/04/nicaraguan-contradictions/