[Marxism] Angels Wear White | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 4 14:05:45 MDT 2018

Purely by coincidence, “Angels Wear White” bears a striking resemblance
to last year’s “Florida Project”, a film I nominated for best of 2017.
Like “The Florida Project”, most of the action in “Angels Wear White”
takes place in a motel—in this instance on a seaside resort in southwest
China’s that is bathed in light. Like Sean Baker, the director of
“Florida Project”, Vivian Qu’s film revolves around two women dealing
with class and sexual oppression. Baker’s characters were a single
mother forced into becoming a hooker out of economic desperation and her
six-year old daughter who is the charismatic gang leader of the motel’s
bored and restless children. Finally, like the “Florida Project”,
“Angels Wear White” is an outstanding film that has the inside track for
my nomination of best foreign language film of 2018.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2018/05/04/angels-wear-white/