[Marxism] I’m a Pro Football Player Now, but I’ll Be Black Forever

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun May 20 10:07:30 MDT 2018

NY Times, Sunday Book Review, May 20, 2018
I’m a Pro Football Player Now, but I’ll Be Black Forever
By Justin Tinsley

THINGS THAT MAKE WHITE PEOPLE UNCOMFORTABLE
By Michael Bennett and Dave Zirin
220 pp. Haymarket Books. $24.95.

Part of the mythology of sports, according to Michael Bennett, the Super
Bowl champion defensive end, is that sports make society more equal.
“That’s miseducation,” he writes in “Things That Make White People
Uncomfortable.” “The only thing that’s going to make us equal isn’t
sports. It’s going to be people realizing we’re all human.”

One of the raging debates of our times centers on social justice — and,
in particular, the political views of athletes in the age of President
Trump. Near its epicenter is Bennett, now a Philadelphia Eagle, who as a
Seattle Seahawk sat during the national anthem last season to protest
systemic inequalities. He is now fighting assault charges after being
accused, unjustly he argues, of injuring an elderly woman while rushing
through the crowd after last year’s Super Bowl to congratulate his twin
brother, Martellus, on the Patriots’ win.

Bennett’s worldview and understanding of race has been intensified by
experiences like these. Wasting few words and fewer emotions in this
memoir (written with Dave Zirin, sports editor of The Nation), he starts
by examining the brutal realities of both collegiate and professional
football.

The former Texas A&M Aggie includes poignant descriptions of his
undergraduate years, noting that racism was at the center of his college
experience. He also explains how post-traumatic stress disorder
triggered in high school and college can follow athletes long after the
stadium crowds stop roaring. As an Aggie, Bennett explains, he was “half
god, half property,” subject to so many restrictions that he was socked
with a one-game suspension for leaving campus to attend his 2-year-old
daughter’s birthday party. Bennett still resents going undrafted in
2009, the result, he believes, of his inability to live by the advice
given to athletes: “Stick to sports.”

Asking the N.F.L. “to lead on social issues sometimes seems like asking
a dog to meow,” he remarks early on. But he’s also found football’s
brotherhood invaluable, forming bonds with his former coach Pete
Carroll, as well as Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Cliff Avril, Justin
Britt, Albert Haynesworth and the late Cortez Kennedy. At the same time,
the physical toll football has taken isn’t an inheritance he wishes to
pass along. If he were to have a son, Bennett says, he wouldn’t let him
take up football. The fear of dying while playing is very real,
something Bennett carries onto the field each Sunday — not necessarily
because he’s afraid of death but because he’s aware of the crater such a
loss would leave in the lives of his three daughters and his wife, Pele,
whom he credits with helping form his compassionate worldview.

Activism is important to Bennett. It’s why he’s involved in eliminating
food deserts in black communities. It’s why the death of Charleena
Lyles, shot by the Seattle police after she called to report an
attempted burglary, tied him to the Black Lives Matter movement. It’s
why he’s uncomfortable merely calling himself a feminist, deciding to
act on his beliefs by helping provide science, technology, engineering
and math programs to young women of color. It’s why he’s adamant about
taking inspiration from the June 1967 meeting of pro athlete social
activists that’s come to be known as the Ali Summit. And it’s why Colin
Kaepernick, still in exile from the N.F.L., has his lifelong support.
The conversation Kaepernick’s actions helped ignite, Bennett believes,
was more valuable than any of his own paychecks.

That conversation — illuminating systemic racism — is the most important
“thing” that makes white people uncomfortable, as his title has it. An
admirer of Malcolm X, Angela Davis, Muhammad Ali and many others,
Bennett is an agent of change. Faced with apathy from white athletes and
fans, he urges them to take action. “Don’t feel guilty,” he writes. “Do
something to make it better. Help us heal by standing — or sitting —
alongside us.”

By the conclusion of his book, Bennett has delved into all the
hot-button issues his title suggests. “I’ll be a football player for
just a few more years,” he points out, “but I’ll be black forever. When
I’m driving with my family down the street in a nice car in a nice
neighborhood and the police see us, they don’t see Michael Bennett the
college graduate, the husband or the loving father. … They immediately
see a black man who could possibly be dangerous.”

This book is the necessary prelude to the serious work of Bennett’s
life, which will take place once he’s done with football. “If you don’t
ask why, you’ll never be attacked or criticized. No one is going to go
after you or your family,” he declares. “But if you don’t ask why,
nothing, not a damn thing, is ever going to change.”

Justin Tinsley is a sports and culture reporter with ESPN’s “The
Undefeated.”