[Marxism] Old Bardians | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon May 21 11:06:21 MDT 2018

When I entered Bard College in 1961, I soon heard the term “old Bard”,
which was a reference to the halcyon days before it became just like
every other college. If you were blessed enough to have attended the old
Bard, you were called an “old Bardian”. As a freshman, I sought out the
companionship of old Bardians because they were the enlightened ones.

If you weren’t sold on the old Bardians legend, you might regard them as
the mental patients running the institution just the Alan Bates movie
“Queen of Hearts”. That good old Bard was what Walter Winchell called
the “little red whorehouse on the Hudson”. I can tell you that despite
being defiantly opposed to the status quo, there was very little red
about it unless you considered Max Lerner to be a Communist (not an
uncommon perception in 1961)

full: https://louisproyect.org/2018/05/21/old-bardians/