[Marxism] Trumpism is the New McCarthism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 23 12:04:33 MDT 2018

On 5/23/18 1:38 PM, Steve Heeren via Marxism wrote:

> This article is behind a paywall. Any secrets, other than my subscribing
> to The Nation, on how to access it. I respect Ellen Schrecker.

Trumpism Is the New McCarthyism
Just as as McCarthyism did decades ago, Trumpism conceals the Republican
Party’s long-term program to dismantle the public sector.
By Ellen Schrecker MAY 21, 2018

Joseph McCarthy is helped in his questioning of Army Secretary Robert
Stevens by Committee Counsel Roy Cohn, right, who later represented
Donald Trump during Trump's early business career. (AP Photo)

Sign Up For Our Wine Club Today.
Did you know you can support The Nation by drinking wine?
Nearly 70 years after Joseph McCarthy produced his first list of alleged
government subversives at a West Virginia Republican banquet, the
Wisconsin senator still haunts us. As historians and others ransack the
American past searching for predecessors of our current president,
McCarthy’s name often tops the list—but usually for the wrong reasons.

Even though the Donald doesn’t drink and “Tail-Gunner Joe” was a lush
who died of liver failure, the two men are similar in many trivial and
not-so-trivial ways. Like McCarthy, Trump is a sociopathic personality
whose aberrant behavior facilitated a right-wing campaign against core
democratic values.

Consistency is neither man’s hobgoblin. As blatant opportunists, neither
was or is loyal to anything beyond themselves. After initially flirting
with the social liberalism of their day, both switched parties and
ideologies. During his early career as a judge in Appleton, Wisconsin,
McCarthy was criticized for granting the quickest divorces around (at a
moment when divorce was still considered scandalous, something reserved
for abandoned women and film stars). While in his pre-Republican mode,
Trump was a self-professed New York Democrat who was once, as he told
Meet the Press in 1999, “very pro-choice.”

The two men have a remarkably similar relationship with the truth.
McCarthy, like many politicians, exaggerated his wartime record while
publicizing his ever-changing lists of—was it 81, 57, 205?—Communists in
the State Department. No need here to detail Trump’s prevarications. The
Washington Post says it’s an average of six or seven a day. Denial is
his default mode.

In this, Trump may well have been following the advice of McCarthy’s
former staffer, the notorious legal sleaze Roy Cohn, whose good
connections and tainted ethics enabled him to service both McCarthy’s
irresponsible allegations as well as the current president’s
unprincipled business dealings.

Like Trump, McCarthy had, in the words of Boston lawyer Joseph Welch at
the Army-McCarthy hearings of 1954, “no sense of decency.” The Wisconsin
senator cared little about the human damage his reckless accusations
caused. When he chaired his congressional investigations of supposed
Communists in the government, he would bully witnesses, destroy their
lives and livelihoods, and then, when the cameras were off, turn on the
charm and hug their lawyers. Trump, as we know, has mocked a disabled
reporter, compared immigrants to animals, and boasted about sexually
assaulting women.

McCarthy, like the current president, played the media with panache. The
press loved him. He fed its members juicy stories. They asked few
questions. How could they? McCarthy tended to release his most
sensational charges so late in the day no one could fact-check them
before they made the front page.

Yet, to focus so heavily on the aberrant behavior of the two men is to
distort the stakes.

McCarthy and Trump, though certainly worthy of condemnation, were and
are but the public face of more serious problems within the American
polity. The fixation of the media on their antics, as Eric Alterman’s
recent column shows, not only diverts us from those problems, but also
makes it harder to deal with them.

Just as McCarthy did, Trump now operates within a polarized political
world in which partisan advantage frequently overwhelms the common good.
Though presenting themselves as populists, the two men actually front
for the Republican Party’s business-friendly establishments of their
eras. Their outrageous conduct allowed and still allows the GOP to
conceal its program of dismantling the New Deal and, in Trump’s case,
President Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society as well.

Ironically, given the damage they would cause, both men came late to the
political agendas they pushed. The xenophobic and socially conservative
campaign against the welfare state, the environment, and the most
vulnerable members of society that Trump so blatantly abets had been
decades in the making before his presidential run (as Nancy MacLean so
brilliantly explains in her recent book, Democracy in Chains).

Similarly, McCarthy signed on to the anti-Communist crusade a few years
after it had begun. His tactics were only a more flamboyant version of
the scenario that Republican politicians had been disseminating ever
since President Harry Truman’s surprise reelection in 1948 revealed that
the electorate still supported the New Deal. At that point, since the
GOP needed a new program, its leaders took advantage of the public
insecurity that accompanied the Cold War and turned to red-baiting. They
blamed the Soviet Union’s supposed victories on subversives within the
Democratic administration. Communists in government, so they said, had
given the bomb to Moscow and “lost” China to Mao.

McCarthy amplified that message. Instead of following President Richard
Nixon’s successful tactic of leaking FBI files, he simply
lied—encouraged, it should be noted, by some the GOP’s most highly
respected politicians. “If one case doesn’t work out,” the Senate’s
leading Republican, Robert Taft, advised his colleague, “bring up
another.” And so, he did. And another. And another.

McCarthy’s wild allegations flummoxed the White House. After all, Truman
and his Cold War liberal allies had already enlisted in the
anti-Communist cause. Because they needed to convince the American
public to provide the resources for the foreign aid and beefed-up
military deemed essential for waging the Cold War, they demonized the
Soviet enemy and its American appendage, the small, isolated, but legal,
Communist Party.

Thus, some three or four years before Joe McCarthy appeared on the scene
to give his name to the crusade against domestic Communists, Truman and
his allies were already pushing to eliminate from American life the
party and all the ideas, individuals, and institutions associated with
Communism and the left.

They were not alone. The House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC)
and similar congressional investigating committees, state and local
politicians, right-wing journalists, and, most importantly, J. Edgar
Hoover and the FBI all helped out, pushing the loyalty programs,
blacklists, and criminal prosecutions that soon spread throughout
American society.

The liberal establishment did not resist the purges. Instead, in
response to pressure from the right, it turned against the left. It
seemed more important to its members to avoid being labeled “soft on
Communism” than to defend the Bill of Rights and the welfare state.
Their timidity in the face of the Republicans’ red-baiting merely
increased the power of the witch hunters.

But the liberals did oppose McCarthy. They just did so in a way that
diverted attention from the real danger. They attacked the Wisconsin
senator as an individual, rather than as the face of a broader wave of
political repression. Their own anti-Communism had undermined the
integrity and effectiveness of their alleged opposition to what they
branded as “McCarthyism.” They focused their campaign on the
unscrupulous charges against “innocent” liberals. As long as McCarthy et
al. picked their targets correctly, many (though by no means all)
moderates and liberals simply looked away. In fact, it was not until the
Wisconsin senator turned on the conservative establishment that his
outrageous activities brought him down.

But the damage that McCarthy—the “ism,” not the man—wreaked on the
American polity remains. Its main legacy is a narrowed political
spectrum in which egalitarianism is suspect and blinkered politicians
and journalists focus on political minutiae while blaming “both sides”
for the inequities that deform our society.

A similar process is at play today. While the pundits stew about Trump’s
every scam and Twitter, they overlook the way the current regime and its
judicial and legislative allies are incrementally hollowing out the
democratic state.

Admittedly, Robert Mueller’s document drops cannot be ignored. They may,
in fact, provide a tool for resolving the immediate crisis. Like
McCarthy, Trump may become so unpalatable to the American public that
the Republican establishment may finally abandon him. When that happens,
we will no doubt be treated to the standard celebration of how “the
system worked.” But unless we keep our eye on the structural issues
involved—as we did not after Watergate or McCarthy’s demise—the current
assault on the public sector will simply go underground temporarily to
resurface when the present furor abates.

Trump’s erratic behavior endangers all living creatures. But, except for
the encouragement that his crudity and flagrant racism have given to
contemporary fascism, it is clear that the president did not write the
script for his administration’s all-too-successful onslaught against the
common good. That accomplishment is the product of decades of
well-funded right-wing organizing and institution-building. The
inevitable backlash against Trump may provide an opportunity to change
our political discourse. But without a long-term commitment to intensive
grassroots organizing, that chance to reclaim the United States from
bigots and oligarchs may fade away. It has done so before.

Ellen SchreckerEllen Schrecker is the author of Many Are the Crimes:
McCarthyism in America.