[Marxism] An observation on capitalist agriculture

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu May 24 13:54:38 MDT 2018

Susan A. Mann makes a crucial point. If you think about the exploitation
of wage labor as key to Marx's definition of capitalism, you really need
to drill down when it comes to farming--a category that includes poultry
farms and wheat farms that have a totally different use of labor.
Poultry farms that consist of chickens maintained in vast buildings and
that are processed in assembly line fashion require a labor force kept
busy 12 months a year. (Unless we are talking about boutique organic
free range farms.) I am talking about Purdue, et al. But a wheat farm is
constrained by the growing conditions that has no need of labor while
the plants are reaching maturity. In fact, that is why many wheat farms
are family-owned and operated even though they require significant
investment in machinery. Is a family farm a capitalist enterprise? That
is a key question.