[Marxism] Marxism and Cinema: Daniel Fairfax | Historical Materialism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 25 09:12:17 MDT 2018

On 5/25/18 10:53 AM, Andrew Pollack via Marxism wrote:
> Louis, what is your take on the author and on this article?

I found it interesting as a survey but it doesn't cover the most recent
films being made in the USA.

If I were to try to summarize the latest developments in American
narrative film from a Marxist standpoint, I'd focus on works like "The
Florida Project" and the entire body of work of Rick Alverson
(https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/01/19/morality-tales-on-the-american-malaise-the-films-of-rick-alverson/).

We are in a period of hopelessness and fear, just like when the Cold War
began. This tends to be reflected in the kind of films made above. Most
young indie directors and screenwriters have little interest in social
malaise and tend to make small-scale mumblecore films that get shown at
the Sundance film festival. That's why it takes a lot of guts to make a
film like "The Florida Project" or Rick Alverson's "Entertainment". Both
are now available on Amazon video.