[Marxism] ‘Sokal Squared’: Is Huge Publishing Hoax ‘Hilarious and Delightful’ or an Ugly Example of Dishonesty and Bad Faith? - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Jeffrey Masko j.alan.masko at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 13:39:18 MDT 2018

One thing I didn't note in any of the stories is how academic publishing
has exploded as scholars need to publish (without being paid for each
piece, but need to for tenure, et al) while the publishers make about 5k
per article. Again, most scholarly articles don't even get read let alone
cited. If you get over 5 or 10 citations for an academic article, you are
getting well above the average. The fact is that you can get nearly
anything published if you keep resubmitting again and again. Says more
about the political economy of academia than anything really.

--

J.A. Masko

"The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without
becoming disillusioned."

           Antonio Gramsci.