[Marxism] White Women, Come Get Your People

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 11 16:51:50 MDT 2018

NY Times Op-Ed, Oct. 6, 2018
White Women, Come Get Your People
They will defend their privilege to the death.
By Alexis Grenell

(Ms. Grenell has written on gender and politics for The New York Daily
News, The Washington Post and other outlets.)

After a confirmation process where women all but slit their wrists,
letting their stories of sexual trauma run like rivers of blood through
the Capitol, the Senate still voted to confirm Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh
to the Supreme Court. With the exception of Senator Lisa Murkowski of
Alaska, all the women in the Republican conference caved, including
Senator Susan Collins of Maine, who held out until the bitter end.

These women are gender traitors, to borrow a term from the dystopian TV
series “The Handmaid’s Tale.” They’ve made standing by the patriarchy a
full-time job. The women who support them show up at the Capitol wearing
“Women for Kavanaugh” T-shirts, but also probably tell their daughters
to put on less revealing clothes when they go out.

They’re more sympathetic to Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah, who actually
shooed away a crowd of women and told them to “grow up.” Or Senator
Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, whose response to a woman telling him
she was raped was: “I’m sorry. Call the cops.”

These are the kind of women who think that being falsely accused of rape
is almost as bad as being raped. The kind of women who agree with
President Trump that “it’s a very scary time for young men in America,”
which he said during a news conference on Tuesday.

But the people who scare me the most are the mothers, sisters and wives
of those young men, because my stupid uterus still holds out some insane
hope of solidarity.

We’re talking about white women. The same 53 percent who put their
racial privilege ahead of their second-class gender status in 2016 by
voting to uphold a system that values only their whiteness, just as they
have for decades. Since 1952, white women have broken for Democratic
presidential candidates only twice: in the 1964 and 1996 elections,
according to an analysis by Jane Junn, a political scientist at the
University of Southern California.

Women of color, and specifically black women, make the margin of
difference for Democrats. The voting patterns of white women and white
men mirror each other much more closely, and they tend to cast their
ballots for Republicans. The gender gap in politics is really a color line.

That’s because white women benefit from patriarchy by trading on their
whiteness to monopolize resources for mutual gain. In return they’re
placed on a pedestal to be “cherished and revered,” as Speaker Paul D.
Ryan has said about women, but all the while denied basic rights.

This elevated position over women of color comes at a cost, though.
Consider what Kellyanne Conway, a top adviser to the president, said at
a dinner last year for New York’s Conservative Party. She suggested that
higher birthrates are “how I think we fight these demographic wars
moving forward.” The war, of course, is with non-white people. So it
seems that white women are expected to support the patriarchy by
marrying within their racial group, reproducing whiteness and even
minimizing violence against their own bodies.

Recently, Ms. Conway even weaponized her own alleged sexual assault in
service to her boss by discouraging women from feeling empathy with
Christine Blasey Ford or anger at Judge Kavanaugh.

Ms. Conway knows that a woman who steps out of line may be ridiculed by
the president himself. President Trump mocked Dr. Blasey in front of a
cheering crowd on Tuesday evening. Betray the patriarchy and your
whiteness won’t save you.

The pedestal is a superior, if precarious, place. For white women, it’s
apparently better than being “stronger together,” with the 94 percent of
black women and 86 percent of Latinas who voted for Hillary Clinton.

During the 2016 presidential election, did white women really vote with
their whiteness in mind? Lorrie Frasure-Yokley, a political scientist at
U.C.L.A., recently measured the effect of racial identity on white
women’s willingness to support Trump in 2016 and found a positive and
statistically significant relationship. So white women who voted for him
did so to prop up their whiteness.

In the study, white women who agreed that “many women interpret innocent
remarks or acts as sexist” were 17 percent more likely to vote for a
Republican candidate. They were also likely to agree that “blacks should
work their way up without special favors.” To be sure, women of color
aren’t inherently less sexist or even without their own racial biases.
But unlike white women, they can’t use race privilege to their advantage.

This blood pact between white men and white women is at issue in the
November midterms. President Trump knows it, and at that Tuesday news
conference, he signaled to white women to hold the line: “The people
that have complained to me about it the most about what’s happening are
women. Women are very angry,” he said. “I have men that don’t like it,
but I have women that are incensed at what’s going on.”

I’m sure he does “have” them; game girls will defend their privilege to
the death.

But apparently that doesn’t include Ms. Murkowski anymore. Maybe it’s
because she comes from a state with the nation’s highest rate of sexual
violence, with a sexual assault rate three times the national average,
where prosecutors just let a man evade jail time after he kidnapped a
native Alaskan woman and strangled her unconscious, then masturbated
over her body. Maybe.

Meanwhile, Senator Collins subjected us to a slow funeral dirge about
due process and some other nonsense I couldn’t even hear through my rage
headache as she announced on Friday she would vote to confirm Judge
Kavanaugh. Her mostly male colleagues applauded her.

The question for white women in November is: Which one of these two
women are you?

I fear we already know the answer.