[Marxism] In a Blow to Labor, Teamsters Ratify UPS Contract Despite "No" Vote

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Oct 12 06:40:52 MDT 2018

So Hoffa overruled majority vote because those voting did not constitute
a majority of Teamsters union members. You need 2/3 majority in such
instances, which was not the case (only 54 percent). My question is if
this was an important vote--it creates a two-tiered membership with new
drivers getting lower wages and benefits--why didn't the union
membership mobilize? My guess is that those drivers who were protected
by their longevity and in the higher tier felt that if it did not affect
them, why bother? If this isn't a statement on the lack of a real labor
movement today, I don't know what is.

https://truthout.org/articles/in-a-blow-to-labor-teamsters-ratify-ups-contract-despite-no-vote/