[Marxism] I Listened to All Six Trump Rallies in October. You Should, Too | The New Yorker

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Oct 12 19:49:29 MDT 2018

The biggest difference between Trump and any other American President,
however, is not the bragging. It’s the cult of personality he has built
around himself and which he insists upon at his rallies. Political
leaders are called onstage to praise the President in terms that would
make a feudal courtier blush, and they’re not empty words. These are the
kinds of tributes I have heard in places like Uzbekistan, but never
before in America. “Is he not the best President we have ever had?” the
Mississippi senator Cindy Hyde-Smith enthused. (Trump then praised her
for voting “with me one hundred per cent of the time.”) In Erie on
Wednesday, a Republican congressman, Michael Kelly, gave the most
sycophantic speech of the ones I listened to this month. Trump, he
yelled to the crowd, is “the strongest President we have seen in our
lifetime.” Addressing Trump, he said, “You are the best! You are the
best!” Trump did not need to leave his “luxurious” life behind for the
indignities of political combat, but he did. “I am so grateful,” Kelly
concluded, “that an American citizen came out of nowhere to take the
reins and reform and retake this nation.”

full:
https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-trumps-washington/i-listened-to-all-six-trump-rallies-in-october-you-should-too