[Marxism] In final tweets, Khashoggi alluded to Palestine, Syria and Yemen

mkaradjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 11:09:58 MDT 2018

In final tweets, Khashoggi alluded to Palestine, Syria

https://en.zamanalwsl.net/news/article/38018/

World | 2018-10-13 01:29:05

Jamal Khashoggi, the Saudi dissident who went missing last week after
entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, tweeted about a range of
critical regional issues in the days leading up to his
(as-yet-unexplained) disappearance.

Along with the Palestine-Israel issue, the crisis in Syria, and
Iranian intervention in the Arab world, Khashoggi also alluded to U.S.
President Donald Trump’s recent suggestion that Saudi Arabia pay the
U.S. for the protection it provides.

After taking part in a pro-Palestine seminar in London, Khashoggi
tweeted on Oct. 1 (only one day before his disappearance): “I am
leaving London and Palestine is still on my mind. I attended a
conference where I met [pro-Palestinian] researchers and activists
from all over the world who believe in the justice of their cause”.

He added: "Despite the power of the Israeli lobby [in the U.K.] … the
voice of Palestine is still loud here. They are trying to marginalize
the Palestinian cause … but it remains ever-present in the popular
conscience."

In the days leading up to his disappearance, Khashoggi had also
tweeted about his country’s dwindling role in Syria and alleged plans
by the Saudi leadership to normalize ties with the Assad regime.

"Those who want to restore the Arab role in Syria should not do so
through an Iranian ally [i.e., the Assad regime], which has forfeited
its legitimacy and relinquished [the country’s] sovereignty...,"
Khashoggi tweeted on Sept. 30.

Saudi Arabia had been one of the main supporters of the Syrian
uprising that began in 2011 and which later erupted into full-blown
conflict -- involving numerous regional and international actors --
after the Assad regime cracked down on protesters with unexpected
ferocity.

In a Sept. 27 tweet, Khashoggi urged the Saudi leadership to review
its Syria policy, saying that “the only way to get Iran out of our
[Arab] world is to support the Syrian revolution and a pluralistic
system in Yemen”.

For the past three years, Saudi Arabia -- at the head of an Arab
military coalition -- has been fighting a destructive war with Shia
rebels in Yemen who Riyadh accuses of serving as Iranian proxies.

Khashoggi also urged the Saudi leadership to support the "the Arab
people’s desire for freedom”.