[Marxism] A political memoir

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 15 22:22:26 MDT 2018

I have just finished reading The Girl I Left Behind.  Judith Nies is referring to herself as someone who changed under the impact of the ‘60s and the rise of Women’s Liberation.
Early on she was being groomed for the CIA or State Department.  As a student at the School of Advanced International Studies (John Hopkins) she studied alongside Madeleine Albright.

But she turned away from that milieu and became a staffer for the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom and later a staffer for a group of liberal congressmen.  She left the congressional job when her liberal employers failed to pay her for eight weeks straight.

In one home she found papers of Joe Davies a former US ambassador to the Soviet Union and the author of Mission to Moscow.  During WWII this book was made into a movie in support of Stalin against Trotsky and others.

But most important is her report on the rise of the Women’s Liberation movement and her part in it.

I found it worth reading.

		ken h