[Marxism] “Sochi didn’t succeed, it’s just that the weapons are hidden” (ANF)

Chris Slee chris_w_slee at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 17 17:30:30 MDT 2018

1) The YPG did not exist in 2011, although there was a small precursor organisation.  The revolutionaries were busy organising the people of Rojava,  in preparation for the insurrection that occurred in July 2012.

After the insurrection, the most immediate threat to Rojava came from Turkish-backed groups, not the Assad regime.

Fear of Turkey - justified given Turkey's extreme hostility to Kurdish self-determination - led to distrust of rebel groups supported by Turkey.  Rojava tried to remain separate from both the Assad regime and the Turkish-backed rebels.

2) I am not familiar with the details of  Ebu Omer Idlibi's history.  But I assume that having been driven out of Idlib, and having joined the Syrian Democratic Forces, he would have participated in  SDF campaigns against ISIS etc.

The SDF policy is to not initiate military conflict with Assadist forces, but to fight back if attacked.

Chris Slee