[Marxism] The Unknown Citizen

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Oct 22 13:09:54 MDT 2018

W.H. Auden is my favorite poet. Unfortunately, Poem Hunter only has one
of his poems online, obviously dictated by copyright laws. The other
major poetry database, Poetry Foundation, only has a handful. This
motivated me to buy a used copy of the Collected Poems, a 915 page
Vintage paperback for only $14.99. I turned through the pages a few
minutes ago and picked out this quintessential 1939 poem that reflects
his political sensibility--so far from the "proletarian" dictates of the
Communist Party. There is no need to puzzle over its meaning. It speaks
for itself.

When he was at Oxford, became part of the “Oxford Group” that was also
called the “Auden Generation.” Stephen Spender, another favorite of
mine,  C. Day Lewis, and Louis MacNeice were also members. The Oxford
Group was influenced by Marxism but as should be obvious from the poem
below, with a distinctly Brechtian sardonic outlook.

The Unknown Citizen

(To JS/o7/M/378 This Marble Monument Is Erected by the State)

He was found by the Bureau of Statistics to be One against whom there
was no official complaint, And all the reports on his conduct agree
That, in the modern sense of an old-fashioned word, he was For in
everything he did he served the Greater Community. Except for the War
till the day he retired He worked in a factory and never got fired, But
satisfied his employers, Fudge Motors Inc.
Yet he wasn't a scab or odd in his views, For his Union reports that he
paid his dues, (Our report on his Union shows it was sound) And our
Social Psychology workers found That he was popular with his mates and
liked a drink. The Press are convinced that he bought a paper every day
And that his reactions to advertisements were normal in every way.
Policies taken out in his name prove that he was fully insured, And his
Health-card shows he was once in hospital but left it cured. Both
Producers Research and High-Grade Living declare He was fully sensible
to the advantages of the Instalment Plan And had everything necessary to
the Modern Man, A phonograph, a radio, a car and a frigidaire. Our
researchers into Public Opinion are content That he held the proper
opinions for the time of year; When there was peace, he was for peace;
when there was war, he went. He was married and added five children to
the population, Which our Eugenist says was the right number for a
parent of his generation, And our teachers report that he never
interfered with their education. Was he free? Was he happy? The question
is absurd: Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard.