[Marxism] Has America Become a Dictatorship Disguised as a Democracy?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Oct 24 11:44:12 MDT 2018

On 10/24/18 12:10 PM, Tim Nelson wrote:

> The Trump "regime" isn't a dictatorship, but it is an ultra-reactionary
> government which has race at the centre of its agenda. Is this a new
> phenomenon in a Western democracy? No. But that's precisely the point.

In case you hadn't noticed, such governments are sweeping across the
planet. It is all a reaction to the neo-liberal onslaught that began in
the early 70s and culminated in the Thatcher and Reagan regimes. When
voted out, it continued under the Blair and Clinton regimes. This shit
has been going on now for almost a half-century, which constitutes an
epoch of world history.

The only way to get rid of Trump, Orban, Modi, Putin, Duterte, et al is
to wage revolutionary struggles led by the kind of party that took power
in 1917. But what people are ready to get behind is the DSA, Corbyn's
Labour, Podemos, neo-Keynesian formations in Latin America that have
passed their shelf-life and every other kind of half-measure.

It will be up to the next generation to produce a solution, I'm afraid.
But there will be a solution or else we will die because of nuclear war
or climate catastrophe. I just finished reading an article in the April
2018 Harpers about an anthrax epidemic in northern Russia near the
Arctic Circle that mostly affected reindeer but also some of the
indigenous people who herded them. The cause? Climate change had warmed
up the earth to such an extent that anthrax germs lodged in the dead
bodies of reindeer from decades and centuries ago had risen through the
soil.

Oh well. I did everything I could to make the case for non-sectarian
revolutionary parties over the past 37 years. I probably should have
gone into business like Bhaskar Sunkara instead. On second thought, I'd
rather have sold real estate.