[Marxism] Life and Nothing More | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Oct 24 17:59:08 MDT 2018

Opening at the Film Forum today, “Life and Nothing More” shares the
title of Abbas Kiarostami’s 1992 narrative film about the aftermath of
the 1990 earthquake in Iran that cost the lives of 30,000 citizens.
Antonio Méndez Esparaza’s film, while likely not an homage to
Kiarostami’s masterpiece, shares its compassion for its victims but on
another fault line, that of the racial and class divisions in
contemporary Florida.

Using neo-realist conventions heightened by a very gifted
non-professional cast, the story is defined by the constraints imposed
by capitalist society on a single mother working as a waitress, her
troubled 14-year old son and three year old daughter. Fifty years ago,
when I was working as a welfare worker in Harlem, I sat by the side of a
28-year old mother of four in her hospital bed trying to convince her
stay in bed. Her doctors warned that if she checked herself out, another
heart attack could cost her life. Through her sobs, she kept asking what
she had to suffer so much. Unlike Job, her suffering and the suffering
of the single mom in Esparaza’s powerful film is not a trial of their
faith by God but by the vicissitudes of wage slavery magnified by racism.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2018/10/24/life-and-nothing-more/